Due to continued growth, we are looking to recruit within the Health and Safety department, based in Preston, Lancashire. Reporting locally into the HSEQ Director, Sapphire’s HSEQ Manager will be responsible for providing the support, advice and information necessary for the operations team to deliver their services in a continually improving safe and environmentally friendly manner.
The role will be responsible for the monitoring of Health, Safety and Environmental performance, reporting to HSEQ Director and Operational Management on trend analysis, incidents, investigation findings, lessons learnt whilst highlighting any deficiencies within the Safety Management System and providing suitable solutions and best practice for implementation. Working closely with key stakeholders – internal and external to provide professional HSEQ guidance and support.
- Everyone is responsible for continuous improvement, to enable a safe efficient and rewarding environment
- Ensure Sapphire’s Code of Conduct is thoroughly understood, adhered to and promoted across the business to ensure safe, compliant and consistent working practices.
- To understand and adhere to policies, procedures, processes and standards to deliver performance ethically, compliantly, competently and with pride in ‘doing the right thing’.
- To operate in an open and even handed manner with all personnel across the business. Treat all who we interact with, with courtesy and respect, treating everyone equally and embracing differences. Encourage everyone to achieve maximum potential.
- To proactively contribute to teamwork and cross-functional working. To listen to each other and share knowledge, enabling us to willingly combine expertise across the business and with our clients and supply chain.
- Behaving with integrity and demonstrating professional image at all times. To always do what is right.
- To take personal responsibility and accountability for actions, constantly striving to improve and exceed expectations ensuring safety and quality are never compromised.
- To establish a work environment where safety, health and customer service are naturally the first priority and to proactively take responsibility to ensure the safety and health of self and others.
- Adding value to the Sapphire operations team through sound advice and engagement.
- Expanding their knowledge and competence of other areas of health, safety, environment and assurance in order to become a multi-skilled member of the HSEQ family.
- Writing clear, concise and readily-understood reports, procedures and guidance documents.
- Taking ownership of Sapphire procedures and guidance documents, amending them as necessary to reflect best working practices and legal and other requirements for the Contract.
- Assisting in developing, rolling out and monitoring compliance with the Divisional 9001 / 14001 / 45001 Management Systems to demonstrate compliance with the corporate systems.
- Assisting in the collaborative development of processes and procedures.
- Applying technical or specialist knowledge to observe, inspect and audit as necessary to identify areas of strength and weakness.
- Conducting audits / inspections on operational teams to ensure that the Company’s HSEQ systems and associated control measures are being fully implemented and remain effective.
- Leading the operations teams in identifying the causes of any weaknesses and put into place actions that will improve performance.
- Identifying, initiating and facilitating projects to improve performance.
- Leading a team to investigate incidents, identifying their root causes and actions to prevent recurrence.
- Keeping abreast of legislation, developments and best practices within their areas of expertise, highlighting any implications for the business.
- Giving detailed training on HSEQ topics and procedures to enable the information to be cascaded further.
- Assisting with determining the HSEQ competencies needed by the operational team.
- Promoting and demonstrating a consistently high HSEQ ethic.
Training & Qualifications
- NEBOSH Diploma or Equivalent / Environmental Qualification / Training Qualification
- Knowledge and experience of Quality Management Systems particularly 9001/14001/45001
- Qualification and full membership of a professional institution (IOSH, IEMA, CQI, etc.)
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products, excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Strong Utilities understanding
- Strong knowledge of HSEQ in a contracting context
- Strong desire to maintain client relationships whilst not compromising contractual entitlement
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Knowledge & Experience – A minimum of 5 years in a HSEQ Management role
Health, Safety & Environment – The ability to assess the impact of our operations have on HSE matters. Thorough knowledge of HSE policies and procedures
Route Cause Analysis – skilled in undertaking comprehensive route cause analysis and investigations.
Embracing Change – contributes positively to the change process and sees change as an opportunity to improve performance. Recognises the impact of change on others and supports them through it. Uses an awareness of the bigger picture along with common sense to implement procedures, policies and techniques.
Communication – considers, in advance, the differing needs of others and adapts style accordingly. Actively initiates communication with others. Communicates clearly and influences well under pressure. Summarises information to check understanding. Uses a range of methods to influence others, e.g. explain benefits and give background information. Explains and justifies point of view and objectively discusses options.
Influencing skills – The ability to make persuasive presentation of ideas of facts and to convince others to gain agreement or acceptance of proposals.
Team working – Puts team decisions above personal interests. Develops a one team culture across the contract. Actively gives and receives feedback to improve performance.
Operational Understanding – comprehensive experience, understanding and qualifications/accreditations in accordance with the role being undertaken to deliver commitments, operational and safety requirements.